At 4D pharma, we understand that developing a new therapeutic class is challenging. We also understand that our people are our greatest resource – and we look to recruit ambitious and talented individuals from all over the world to be part of this exciting new area of medicine.
Please see our current career opportunities below:
About the Company
4D Pharma PLC is a pharmaceutical company focussed on developing therapeutics from the human gut microbiome. Live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) derived from the gut microbiome represent a new class of drugs that contain live organisms for the prevention, treatment or cure of disease. 4D Pharma is a world leader in the LBP field and currently has a number of clinical stage programmes (in IBS, IBD, oncology and asthma) and a strong pipeline of pre-clinical programmes in autoimmunity, inflammation and CNS disease.
Purpose of the Job
Applications are invited for the role of Team Leader Microbiology to join the research team at 4D Pharma Research Ltd in Aberdeen (UK). The successful candidate will provide scientific expertise and leadership to the proprietary MicroRx platform, for the early discovery of new LBPs in novel therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will be responsible for the isolation of bacterial strains and their subsequent identification, characterisation and application in screening assays and pre-clinical studies. An extensive knowledge of gut microbiome research and host-microbe communication is therefore crucial to this position. A background in metabolomics/proteomics is highly desirable along with proven expertise in microbial genetics. The post-holder will have the opportunity to engage in the wider research activities of the 4D Pharma Research team, write up results in the form of reports and publications, present research outcomes at meetings, and generate intellectual property.
Experience / Qualifications Required
- A PhD with relevant post-doctoral or industry experience (>4-6 years) in microbiology or a related discipline.
- Solid experience in a range of anaerobic microbiological techniques, targeted isolation of bacterial species and proven expertise in assay development.
- Experience with identification and characterisation of microorganisms.
- Thorough understanding of the gut microbiome and host-microbe interactions.
- Highly motivated and innovative with the ability to work independently and integrate into a multidisciplinary team of microbiologists and molecular biologists.
- Good organisational and communication skills proven by previous line management and supervision experience.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work as part of the 4D Pharma Research management team to plan research activities within the framework of the agreed programmes.
- Provide scientific expertise within the research team engaged in isolation of live (microbial) biotherapeutic products for the treatment of disease.
- Provide scientific expertise in isolation, screening and characterisation of bacteria from human intestinal microbiota to manage the bacterial culture collection and downstream bioactivity evaluation.
- Provide microbiological expertise and advice to the group’s Discovery, Preclinical and Development divisions.
- Lead a group of microbiologists of different levels (Senior Scientists, Scientists, Research Assistants, Technicians).
How to apply
Please send all applications to:
Telephone 01224 900 460
We always welcome applications from talented individuals even if a role is not advertised we would be keen to hear from you. Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org